Thursday, May 21, 2009

Survivor ... Sevilla Style

This weekend you won't catch a glimpse of me around here. I won't be blogging, I won't text notes to my fam and friends, I won't get caught up in even one iota of Facebookery. If you want to see me or say hello, you'd better catch me in person. Why such tech-free solitude? Because The Man and I have cooked up an experiment for our little three-being family (The Pup won't be implicated in this one) to get us back in touch with a simpler life and an "earn what you get" philosophy.

For 48 hours, the televisions will be turned off, the ipods left charging, the Nintendo DS and the Wii lying idle. The computer will be at rest. The cell phones will be off. Nary an electronic pulse shall emit from the Sevilla household for entertainment's sake. And on top of that, we've selected a family household project to tackle ... staining the fence.

Why the Laura Ingalls Wilder transformation? I haven't turned total granola girl, believe me. The seed that grew into this experiment was planted about a year ago. Our 7-year-old has grown into a nasty phase ... the "because I'm worth it" phase. He has an incredible sense of entitlement when it comes to screen time and what he might gain out of every minute decision made. And it's been grating on my nerves. So much so that whenever he mentions being more excited about the donut after church than going to the mass itself, I snap like a school headmaster and screech, "That's IT! No donut for you. Do you think Jesus appreciates you choosing a fried ring of sugary bread over Him?!?!"

To try to keep Headmaster Falula (nice ring to that) at bay, we're trying a radical take at this weekend. We'll go for family walks and bike rides. We'll stain the fence. We'll play board games. We'll read as a family and pray as a family and enjoy some silence together.

And if by Sunday at midnight, if we're all still alive ... and not in jail ... then we'll venture out of the compound for a matinee and lunch.

So if it looks like I'm ignoring your texts, calls, messages and e-mails, don't worry. I am. But I'll get back to you on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment