Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fiscal Lesson Too Soon?

On the way to church today, Jacob said, "I want to buy a house."


I could tell from the corner of my eyes that Joel lit up as I did with the opportunity for a life lesson here. I started off by saying, "That's a great goal to have, Jake! Start thinking about that now, because houses are really expensive today, and will be even more so when you're an adult."


Joel took the baton from there, saying that college would be pricey, too. We tag-teamed with tidbits about fiscal reponsibility such as credit card usage, savings accounts versus stocks, how much of of his allowance he should be socking away in each jar (the "cross" jar is for church and charity, the "$" jar is for savings, the "Jacob" jar is for spending), how he really needed to strive to get his chores done every day, how financial guru Dave Ramsey's kid was challenged to buy a car and saved enough money for a luxury model, how he could get a lawn-mowing job someday, how his dad wishes he had bought a house decades ago, but that buying it together made it more "our" house, the proper order for life moments (read "college, career, marriage, kids") ...


Amidst all this excited chatter from his parents, I noticed that Jacob was noticeably absent in this conversation. I glanced back to see his head tilted all the way back, mouth fully open, eyes closed. And I heard him mutter, "Or maybe I don't."


OK, so maybe the stocks piece was a bit too much?

1 comment:

  1. I thought you were going to say he was asleep for the parental diatribe!

    I can point you to some great handling money materials for kids...money principles wound through a story.

    ReplyDelete